Today in White Sox History: January 29

The Sunshine Boys: 39 years ago, this pair took over the Chicago White Sox.

1981
Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn gained control of the White Sox after American League owners turned down Bill Veeck’s attempt to sell to Eddie DeBartolo. Reinsdorf’s original partner was William Farley, but Farley dropped out in part because the Sox went out and signed free agents Ron LeFlore and Jim Essian. Farley didn’t approve of the team spending $3 million on free agents — even though Veeck got the money for the signings from DeBartolo!

Reinsdorf originally was part of a group trying to buy the New York Mets. Einhorn originally was part of a group trying to get the San Diego Padres.

Liked it? Take a second to support Mark Liptak on Patreon!
Author profile

Mark Liptak is originally from Chicago and has been a White Sox fan since 1960. He and his wife Zoe reside in Pocatello, Idaho where he is the radio voice as part of Idaho State athletics in volleyball, football, women's basketball and softball.

Mark went to the University of Kentucky. He’s been in the sports media profession since 1978 having worked in television sports in three markets between 1978 and 1994. He’s also written for numerous newspapers in addition to his radio duties.

Liptak has covered a Super Bowl, two Kentucky Derby’s, an NCAA woman’s basketball Final Four and worked for CBS-TV during their coverage of the men’s NCAA basketball tournament’s opening rounds held in Boise in 2001.

He is also a Chicago White Sox historian who has written for various web sites over the past 17 years including the Chicago Baseball Museum and Chicago Now / Sox Net, a series of blogs and websites associated with the Chicago Tribune.

He and Zoe have been married for 30 years. Their son, Mason, and his family live in Longview, Texas.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

11 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
WIN05
WIN05
4 months ago

It has been a long run.

wilburwoodwastheman
wilburwoodwastheman
4 months ago

While many (with good reasons) vilify Reinsdorf for running a large market team like a small market team, I actually believe you can trace a great deal of responsibilty for this problem back to Einhorn’s role in the early days of the organization. In short, the Sox became a small market team in a large market due to Einhorn’s short-sighted, Bill Wirtz-esque strangulation of TV access to our beloved Sox. As a child of the late 70’s and early 80’s, I got my White Sox baseball on channel 44. When Reinsdorf’s ownership group acquired the Sox, my father was pretty… Read more »

Right Size Wrong Shape
Right Size Wrong Shape
4 months ago

FYI (I don’t know if you still are interested), but the main page said 3 comments, but I only see WIN05’s and wilburwoodwastheman’s.

Brett Ballantini
4 months ago

So there’s seems a pervasive one-less comment issue for some (or all) of you. Hmm. Will keep investigating. In Ozzie parlance, “in the meanwhile” everyone will continue to be tormented by that one elusive comment …

Right Size Wrong Shape
Right Size Wrong Shape
4 months ago

It’s not always one. There was one a week ago that said 5 comments, but the only comment that I could see was my own.

Wayne Tietz
Wayne Tietz
4 months ago

Other than the fact that JR has made nothing but money with the White Sox, I don’t see how anybody can view his ownership as a successful one.

Mark Liptak
Mark Liptak
4 months ago

Right now it says eight comments here but I only see six posted. (Not counting this just added one)

Mark Liptak
Mark Liptak
4 months ago
Reply to  Mark Liptak

Front page of the site says this has 15 comments. I only see seven (not counting this one that I’m just typing.)

wilburwoodwastheman
wilburwoodwastheman
4 months ago
Reply to  Mark Liptak

Is the page haunted?

Mark Liptak
Mark Liptak
4 months ago

I wonder if maybe the “comments” we can’t see are automated spam?

Right Size Wrong Shape
Right Size Wrong Shape
4 months ago
Reply to  Mark Liptak

I’m just going to assume that it’s people making fun of me and I don’t want to see it anyway.